Analytics has taken world by storm & It it the powerhouse for all the digital transformation happening in every industry.
Machine Learning (ML) has revolutionized the world of computers by allowing them to learn as they progress forward with large datasets, thus mitigating many previous programming pitfalls and impasses. Machine Learning builds algorithms, which when exposed to high volumes of data, can self-teach and evolve. When this unique technology powers Artificial Intelligence (AI) applications, the combination can be powerful. We can soon expect to see smart robots around us doing all our jobs – much quicker, much more accurately, and even improving themselves at every step. Will this world need intelligent humans anymore or shall we soon be outclassed by self-thinking robots? What are the most visible 2017 Machine Learning trends?
2017 Machine Learning Trends in Research
In the research areas, Machine Learning is steadily moving away from abstractions and engaging more in business problem solving with support from AI and Deep Learning. In What Is the Future of Machine Learning , Forbes predicts the theoretical research in ML will gradually pave the way for business problem-solving. With Big Data making its way back to mainstream business activities, now smart (ML) algorithms can simply use massive loads of both static and dynamic data to continuously learn and improve for enhanced performance.
2017 ML Application Development Trends
Gartner’s Top 10 Technology Trends for 2017 predicts that the combined AI and advanced ML practice that ignited about four years ago and since continued unscathed, will dominate Artificial Intelligence application development in 2017. This lethal combination will deliver more systems that “understand, learn, predict, adapt and potentially operate autonomously. “Cheap hardware, cheap memory, cheap storage technologies, more processing power, superior algorithms, and massive data streams will all contribute to the success of ML-powered AI applications. There will be a steady rise in Ml-powered AI application in industry sectors like preventive healthcare, banking, finance, and media. For businesses that mean more automated functions and fewer human checkpoints. 2017 Predictions from Forrester suggests that the Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Cloud will increasingly feed on IoT data as sensors and smart apps take over every facet of our daily lives.
Democratization of Machine Learning in the Cloud
The democratization of AI and ML through Cloud technologies, open standards, and algorithm economy will continue. The growing trend of deploying prebuilt ML algorithms to enable Self-Service Business Intelligence and Analytics is a positive step towards democratization of ML. In Google Says Machine Learning is the Future, the author champions the democratization of ML through idea sharing. A case in point is Google’s Tensor Flow, which has championed the need for open standards in Machine Learning. This article claims that almost anyone with a laptop and an Internet connection can dare to be a Machine Learning expert today provided they have the right mindset.
The provisioning of Cloud-based IT services was already a good step to make advanced Data Science a mainstream activity, and now with Cloud and packaged algorithms, mid-sized ad smaller businesses will have access to Self-Service BI and Analytics, which was only a dream till now. Also, the mainstream business users will gradually take an active role in data-centric business systems. Machine Learning Trends – Future AI claims that more enterprises in 2017 will capitalize on the Machine Learning Cloud and do their part to lobby for democratized data technologies.
Platform Wars will Peak in 2017
The platform war between IBM, Microsoft, Google, and Facebook to be the leader in ML developments will peak in 2017. Where Machine Learning Is Headed predicts that 2017 will experience a tremendous growth of smart apps, digital assistants and mainstream use of Artificial Intelligence. Although many ML-enabled AI systems have turned into success stories, the self-driving cars may die a premature death.
Humans will Make Peace with Machines
Since 2012 the global business community has witnessed a meteoric rise and widespread proliferation of data technologies. Finally, humans will realize that it is time to stop fearing the machines and begin working with them. The InfoWorld article titled Application Development, Docker, Machine Learning Are Top Tech Trends for 2017 asserts humans and machines will work with each other, not against each other. In this context, readers should review the DATAVERSITY® article The Future of Machine Learning: Trends, Observations, and Forecasts, where the readers are reminded that as businesses develop a strong dependence on pre-built ML algorithms for Advanced Analytics, the need for Data Scientists or large IT departments may diminish.
Demand-Supply Gaps in Data Science and Machine Learning will Rise
The business world is steadily heading toward the prophetic 2018, when according to McKinsey the first void in data technology expertise will be felt in the US and then gradually in the rest of the world. The demand-supply gap in Data Science and Machine Learning skills will continue to rise till academic programs and industry workshops begin to produce a ready workforce. In response to this sharp rise in the demand-supply gap, more enterprises and academic institutions will collaborate to train future Data Scientists and ML experts. This kind of training will compete with the traditional Data Science classroom and will focus more on practical skills rather than on theoretical knowledge.
The Algorithm Economy will take Centre Stage
Over the next year or two, businesses will be using canned algorithms for all data-centric activities like BI, Predictive Analytics, and CRM. The algorithm economy, which Forbes mentions, will usher in a marketplace where all data companies will compete for space. In 2017, global businesses will engage in Self-Service BI, and experience the growth of algorithmic business solutions, and ML in the Cloud. So far as algorithm-driven business decision making is concerned, 2017 may actually see two distinct types of algorithm economies. On one hand, average businesses will utilize canned algorithmic models for their operational and customer-facing functions. On the other hand, proprietary ML algorithms will become a market differentiator among large, competing enterprises.
Some Thoughts to Ponder
If the threat of intelligent machines taking over Data Scientists is really as real as it is made out to be, then 2017 is probably the year when the global Data Science community should take a new look at the capabilities of so-called “smart machines.” The repeated failure of autonomous cars has made one point clear – that even learning machines cannot surpass the natural thinking faculties bestowed by nature on human beings. If autonomous or self-guided machines have to be useful to human society, then the current Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning research should focus on acknowledging the limits of machine power and assign tasks that are suitable for the machines and include more human interventions at necessary checkpoints to avert disasters. Repetitive, routine tasks can be well handled by machines, but any out-of-the-ordinary situations will still require human intervention.
To know more about High-End professional training on ML, AI, IoT, Big Data, Cloud, Analytics, Data Science and more, feel free to drop a line at: [email protected]
This article originally appeared here.
- Google’s Tensorflow
- Facebook open source modules for Torch
- Amazon released DSSTNE on GitHub
- Microsoft released CNTK, its open source deep learning toolkit, on GitHub
Today we see lot of examples of Deep learning around:
- Google Translate is using deep learning and image recognition to translate not only voice but written languages as well.
- With CamFind app, simply take a picture of any object and it uses mobile visual search technology to tell you what it is. It provides fast, accurate results with no typing necessary. Snap a picture, learn more. That’s it.
- All digital assistants like Siri, Cortana, Alexa & Google Now are using deep learning for natural language processing and speech recognition
- Amazon, Netflix & Spotify are using recommendation engines using deep learning for next best offer, movies and music
- Google PlaNet can look at the photo and tell where it was taken
- DCGAN is used for enhancing and completing the human faces
- DeepStereo: Turns images from Street View into a 3D space that shows unseen views from different angles by figuring out the depth and color of each pixel
- DeepMind’s WaveNet is able to generate speech which mimics any human voice that sounds more natural than the best existing Text-to-Speech systems
- Paypal is using H2O based deep learning to prevent fraud in payments
- Minimize maintenance costs - Don’t waste money through over-cautious time bound maintenance. Only repair equipment when repairs are actually needed.
- Reduce unplanned downtime - Implement predictive maintenance to predict future equipment malfunctioning and failures and minimize the risk for unplanned disasters putting your business at risk.
- Root cause analysis - Find causes for equipment malfunctions and work with suppliers to switch-off reasons for high failure rates. Increase return on your assets.
- Efficient labor planning — no time wasted replacing/fixing equipment that doesn’t need it
- Avoid warranty cost for failure recovery – thousands of recalls in case of automakers while production loss in assembly line
TrainItalia has invested 50M euros in Internet of Things project which expects to cut maintenance costs by up to 130M euros to increase train availability and customer satisfaction.
- Increased need & desire among businesses to gain greater value from their data
- Over 80% of data/information that businesses generate and collect is unstructured or semi-structured data that need special treatment
- Typically requires mix of skills - mathematics, statistics, computer science, machine learning and most importantly business knowledge
- They need to employ the R or Python programming language to clean and remove irrelevant data
- Create algorithms to solve the business problems
- Finally effectively communicate the findings to management
Any company, in any industry, that crunches large volumes of numbers, possesses lots of operational and customer data, or can benefit from social media streams, credit data, consumer research or third-party data sets can benefit from having a data scientist or a data science team.
- Kirk D Borne of BoozAllen
- D J Patil Chief Data Scientist at White House
- Gregory Piatetsky of kdnuggets
- Vincent Granville of Analyticsbridge
- Jonathan Goldman of LinkedIn
- Ronald Van Loon
Although computers are better for data processing and making calculations, they were not able to accomplish some of the most basic human tasks, like recognizing Apple or Orange from basket of fruits, till now.
Here are a few thoughts from @dataguild on IoT as applied to Data Science. Thanks to @MacSlocum, @JonBruner and the @OReillySolid crew for a great show in San Francisco last month.
You might think that once a sale has been made, or an email subscription confirmed, that your job is done. You’ve made the virtual handshake, you can have a well-earned coffee and sit down now right? Wrong! (You knew we were…Continue
Anyone who has ever had to justify social media spend will appreciate that it feels good to have figures to cling to. We know that a lot of the value is relatively intangible – it’s about sentiment, awareness, relationship…Continue
Snapchat is, relatively speaking, one of the newbies on the social media block. First launched in 2011, it started with a less than desirable reputation. “Is that the one that people use to send dirty pictures when they’re…Continue
When you think of social channels like Facebook, what do you picture? Is it people over sharing feelings and pictures of their children? Do you imagine it to be chock full of personal complaints, boasts and holiday snaps?…Continue
In just a few years, Artificial intelligence (AI) has successfully maneuvered itself into the daily vernacular of people worldwide. It takes countless shapes and forms, and has altered the way that we view the world and technological…Continue
Right now if you buy a Dash Button, Amazon will give you one for free in honor of National Pet Week, this week. But they're still giving you the $4.99 credit after the first time you use it. So that's two Dash buttons for free, really (typically…Continue
The Taotronics phone mount is easy to install and features a fully adjustable viewing angle, non-slip rubber grips and a one-button phone release mechanism. It averages 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon (…Continue