We must be prepared for the Internet of Things (IoT) Tsunami, but it will not be in 2020 as many of us believed. The good news is that it is approaching but now more quietly than a few years ago.
For the most pessimistic or unconvinced of the IoT, I must say that much of the hype around the Internet of Things is not really hype anymore. I will say one more time: “IoT’s here to stay”.
In Ten Trends of IoT in 2020, Ahmed Banafa considers that in the year 2020 we will hit all 4 components of IoT Model: Sensors, Networks (Communications), Analytics (Cloud), and Applications, with different degrees of impact. If we pay attention again to the predictions by 2020, the IoT is predicted to generate an additional $344B in revenues, as well as to drive $177B in cost reductions. In his article, Mr, Banafa explore the impact of many technologies on IoT and predict what is next for IoT.
No doubt that disruptive new trends will emerge over the next few years that will pave the way for a complete overhaul in the way we view and interact with our world and the Internet of Things will continue its brisk and steady rise as our planet and everything in it becomes connected.
Nevertheless, some shadows continue to appear for IoT like we can read in “IoT in 2020: awkward times ahead” . The pain points are the usual suspects:
- Security – The divide between IT and OT is one of the central causes of the security problem
- Lack of complete solutions - IT companies have been aggressive in partnering up with OT companies, and there’s a general recognition that most complete IoT solutions will involve products from multiple vendors.
- No single vendor is able to offer a complete solution to a given IoT problem and, therefore, unable to solve the broader issues with IoT technology in a unitary way.
- Edge networking- One of the major trends for 2020. The cloud can be a limiting factor in a lot of IoT deployments.
I was pleased say that I have included some of the Top 5 IoT trends released by Ecosystm in this free report “The Top 5 IoT Trends For 2020”. Here's what we think 2020 has in store for IoT:
- 5G Providers Will Be Forced to Operate Outside their Comfort Zone
- Satellite IoT Connectivity Solutions Will Start to Compete Against and Work with LPWANs
- IoT Sensor Analytics Will Become the Fastest Growing AI Workload
- Construction Will Become the Unsuspecting Influencers for IoT Adoption
- The Edge Will No Longer Be at the Edge
Following the tradition of previous years, I have been collecting links to other sources with IoT Predictions and Trends for 2020. You can read more predictions in these links:
Previous Predictions collected in my articles
2020 IoT Predictions - https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/2020-iot-trends-predictions-prepared-tsunami-francisco-maroto
2019 IoT Predictions - https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/yes-we-continue-making-iot-predictions-2019-francisco-maroto/
2018 IoT Predictions - https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/have-we-already-bored-predicting-iot-francisco-maroto/
This year there are fewer predictions about IoT. This is not bad. On the contrary, it is a symptom that the hype has disappeared and the IoT has evolved and has become more real.
For my part, every year I am lazier to read predictions and trends. Many articles are written by non-IoT experts, are repetitive and do not add great value.
Let´s keep the positive messages of 2020 IoT Predictions and Trends:
- IoT is developing at a fast pace
- The maturity phase of IoT has just begun, and it is soon to become a full-blown business in the coming years.
We, the IoT Pioneers, know that IoT development isn’t something that will happen overnight but we also know that IoT will star developing in 2020 at a fast pace.
Back in 2000, futurist Paul Saffo warned that in 2020, we’ll be “living in an age of technologically induced creative destruction.”
We're far from that. Expect a 2020 year of less IoT technology news and more business news.
No matter if you are running a small business, a medium or large company or a multinational, IoT is going to find its way into your business. So, be prepared for the IoT Tsunami that is coming!