IOT is a system of interrelated ‘things’ that are connected over a network and can send and receive data over it. A ‘thing’ in IOT can be thought of any man made or natural thing that can be assigned an IP address, for example, a man have a heart monitor implant or a car having sensors to alert the driver of any abnormal condition.
What do I need to have?
According to a survey, as of now we just have 300,000 IOT experts, but we might need as much as 4.5 million IT people having IOT expertise in future. IOT in a midst of explosion, but the problem is the lack of talent regarding this field. If you will have the following skill sets of IOT will surely benefit you in future.
- Machine Learning- expertise in this field will take you a long way. Machine learning algorithms make the machines smarter by giving them the ability to predict by recognizing the data patterns. According to an IT expert this skill is 220% more in demand in the market because employers want to harvest the large amount of information using the machines and their sensors.
- AutoCAD- this is software that enables you to engineer appliances and have a very strong growth as the complexity of the machinery related to IOT goes on increasing. Smart and connected things often require a whole new set of thinking principles and hence there can be a change in the design at the very last moment. AutoCAD helps in making any change even at the last moment quite efficiently and expertise in this field is said to have a weightage of 108% when compared to other skills.
- Security infrastructure- with the presence of such sensitive information over a network the apex concern of any employer has to be its security. Due to the complexity of the IOT devices the endpoint security gives a lot of attention. Everything that is available on a network is prone to theft and a risk of information leak, hence having a skill around security comes as a critical factor for your success in it.
- Data management (Big Data) - IOT has an enormous amount of data revolving and every day there is an addition to it. Companies need to collect all the data and also filter the repetitive one. The data needs to be so managed that it gives an accurate estimation of the business so that ways to growth can be taken out of that. Using artificial intelligence along with big data can help the companies get the results faster and more efficiently.
- Electrical engineering- the future needs an apt team up of software engineers and electrical engineers. Electrical engineers are needed to help with embedded device development for mobile applications and for radio frequency in order to get a smooth and effective mode of communication.
- Circuit design- connected devices are forcing the companies to adjust and adapt chip design to meet their requirements. For example- systems that require power for a longer span of time are required to have a chip that takes care of their power consumption and keep it optimized.
IOT is a revolution in IT that will certainly increase the number of jobs that are available in this sector. Moving with time and learning new things is the only way to proceed and become succeed.